EXAMINATION OF STRUCTURES BY MEANS OF FATIGUE TESTS AND VIBRATION TESTS AT RESONANCE. REPORT OF ENQUIRY
This report contains a survey on the strains to which a component is exposed in service, on the fatigue of materials on their endurance, on the determination of the permissible stresses and on the influence of the various factors on fatigue. After having recalled the various types of testing machines the report gives a brief description of a certain number of resonant fatigue testing machines, the control of the machines and the opportuneness of the programmed tests. The conclusions resulting from the study are the following: Resonant fatigue tests are currently applied both in industrial and in railway operation fields. The designation "resonant fatigue tests on components" is a conventional one, because, in reality, the tested component is exposed to stresses at frequencies different from the natural resonant frequencies actually encountered by the in service.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1963-10
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 27 p.
- TRT Terms: Durability tests; Equipment tests; Failure; Fatigue strength; Fatigue tests; Materials science
- Old TRIS Terms: Question b65; Test equipment
- Subject Areas: Materials; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052956
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B65/RE /E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM