GENERAL PROBLEMS CONNECTED WITH WHEELS AND THEIR ASSEMBLY: SOLID CAST - STEEL WHEELS, WHEELS OF DIFFERENT DIAMETER AND SHAPE. THIRD CONTRIBUTION TO THE STUDY OF SMALL WHEELS
In this report, an account is given of the running tests, the braking tests on the wheel testing machine and the test-runs on long, steep falling-gradients, which complete those described in Report B 98/RP 2 and B 98/RP 6. It is indicated in this document that the conclusions of the previous reports have been confirmed concerning the improvement in the performance of wheels obtained in using solid rolled wheels of unalloyed steel with treated wheel rims. For the wheels of more than 760 mm diameter, the "elastic" and permanent deformations are reduced to acceptable values in the case of wheels with curved web for which the rim-web and web-hub transition planes lie in the rolling circle plane. For the wheels with a diameter equal to or less than 760 mm, the present designs and shapes lead to acceptable deformations under normal service conditions. In conclusion, it is stated that, in the opinion of the members of ORE Committee B98, a first practical solution would appear to have been found concerning the problem of small wheels (diameter greater than 630 mm), the present report thus supplying an initial answer to the questions raised by the Working Group "Small Wheels" of the UIC. Finally, taking into account the information drawn from the tests, it was apparent that additional tests were necessary concerning: the performance of wheels when having reached the wear limit; the direction of curvature of the web of wheels with a diameter of more than 760 mm; the stresses in the wheels and their development; and the improvement of the design of wheels (shape, thickness of web, transition radii,...). The resulting programme of work is indicated in the report.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1970-10
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 118 p.
- TRT Terms: Axle loads; Braking; Steel; Stresses; Tests; Vehicle design; Wheels
- Identifier Terms: Deutsche Bahn; Deutsche Bundesbahn; Societe nationale des chemins de fer francais; Statens Jarnvagar
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle loadings; Braking tests; Cast steel wheels; Question b98; Small diameter wheels; Steel wheels; Wheel design; Wheel stresses
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00052955
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B98/RP 7/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 6 1976 12:00AM