GENERAL PROBLEMS CONNECTED WITH WHEELS AND THEIR ASSEMBLY: SOLID CAST - STEEL WHEELS, WHEELS OF DIFFERENT DIAMETER AND SHAPE. ROLLED STEEL WHEELS. SECOND CONTRIBUTION TO THE STUDY OF SMALL WHEELS. (VOLUMES 1 AND 2: TEST, AND APPENDICES 1-6)
In this report, an account is given of the running tests, the wheel testing machine, the hauling tests on the flat track and the test-runs on long, steep falling-gradients, already carried out. These tests complete those already outlined in Report B 98/RP 2, the conclusions of which are confirmed. It is indicated that a very significant improvement in the performance of wheels of 660 mm, 840 mm and 920 mm diameter is obtained in using, instead of wheels of BV 1 and BV 2 steel, solid rolled wheels of unalloyed steel with treated running tread, having carbon and manganese contents of less than 0.52% and 0.80% respectively, with an ultimate tensile strength, measured at a distance of 15 mm below the running tread, of more than 82 hbar and an elongation of more than 14%. Furthermore, an improved performance is obtained for the DB 730/680 mm diameter wheels in using solid wheels of BV 1 steel with tempered running tread, with a hardness corresponding to a tensile strength of 88.2 hbar. Moreover, the tests have revealed very disturbing deformations of the solid wheels under the effect of the heat generated during tread braking with brake blocks, these deformations sometimes reaching such values that there is a danger of certain international prescriptions failing to be complied with. The solution to the problem might be sought in the choice of the most suitable design and shape of the solid cast-steel wheel. The programme of work has been prepared with this in mind.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory materials.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1969-10
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 85 p.
- TRT Terms: Axle load force; Braking; Cracking; Steel; Stresses; Tests; Thermal degradation; Vehicle components; Vehicle design; Wheel rims; Wheels
- Identifier Terms: Deutsche Bahn; Deutsche Bundesbahn; Societe nationale des chemins de fer francais; Statens Jarnvagar
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle loadings; Braking tests; Car components; Question b98; Small diameter wheels; Steel wheels; Thermal cracks (Wheels); Wheel design; Wheel stresses; Wrought steel wheels
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00052954
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B98/RP 6/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 6 1976 12:00AM