GENERAL PROBLEMS CONNECTED WITH WHEELS AND THEIR ASSEMBLY: SOLID CAST - STEEL WHEELS, WHEELS OF DIFFERENT DIAMETER AND SHAPE. SECOND CONTRIBUTION TO THE STUDY OF SOLID CAST - STEEL WHEELS
In this report referring to the "solid cast-steel wheels" of American manufacture, made according to two different casting processes, an account is given of: operational running tests, carried out on the DB and the SJ, with cast wheels certain of which have a surface-hardened tread, and braking tests on cast-steel wheels, at the Minden test bench. The report also shows that encouraging results have been obtained from the running test with wagons 1 in 2 of which were braked, using solid cast-steel wheels adapted to European conditions and heavy demands with a relatively high carbon content and surface-hardened tread. However, the comparative tests at the vibration and braking test bench on non-hardened solid cast-steel wheels made for use in the USA and possessing an even higher carbon content, have given disappointing results. In fact, of the 2 latter wheels tested (made according to the two different methods of manufacture), one was completely broken during the tests and the other showed considerable cracking. This has revealed the great susceptibility of these wheels to thermal cracks due to braking so that wheels of this type could hardly be considered suitable under European operating conditions.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1969-10
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 31 p.
- TRT Terms: Axle loads; Braking; Steel; Stresses; Tests; Thermal stresses; Vehicle design; Wheels
- Identifier Terms: Deutsche Bahn; Deutsche Bundesbahn; Statens Jarnvagar
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle loadings; Braking tests; Cast steel wheels; Question b98; Steel wheels; Wheel design; Wheel stresses; Wheel thermal stresses
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00052953
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B98/RP 5/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 6 1976 12:00AM