A STUDY OF HUMAN RESOURCES IN SHIP OPERATIONS: PHASE 1
The objective of this project is to initiate a multi-year program designed to identify environmental, social and organizational changes needed aboard U.S. merchant ships to provide a safer, healthier, more efficient and individually satisfying industrial environment afloat. Program development and guidance is provided by a tri-partite Advisory Group consisting of union, management, and government (MarAd) representatives. The study team itself is comprised of a multidisciplinary research team with applied experience in behavioral science and marine operations. This initialization phase included an international literature survey undertaken to reveal documented maritime personnel studies, methodological development and validation through field-testing. It is emphasized that this phase was geared to the development of a technical approach which can effect meaningful results within the parameters of overall program goals. The data collected during this phase served as a basis for re-direction and refinements of methodologies--no conclusions can be drawn due to the limitations of the sample.
HARRY G. ARMSTRONG AEROSPACE MEDICAL RESEARCH LABORATORYWRIGHT-PATTERSON A.F.B., OHIO:
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1979-12
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 266 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic vessel control; Crew accommodation; Crew size; Data collection; Habitat (Ecology); Job analysis; Manning requirements; Occupational safety; Personnel; Personnel performance; Tolerance (Physiology); Tolerance (Psychology)
- Old TRIS Terms: Crew reduction; Habitability; Human performance; Personnel analysis; Personnel safety; Shipboard automation; Shipboard environment; Survey reports; Tolerance (Physiological); Tolerance (Psychological)
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Environment; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Society;
- Accession Number: 00316466
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: NMRC 200 Tech Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: MA-5-0070
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 8 1980 12:00AM