MAJOR TRENDS IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF SEA GOING TRANSPORT ICESHIPS
The paper first gives a brief historical review of the development of Soviet icebreakers and ice-strengthened cargo vessels for arctic navigation. Todays ice-strengthened vessels are then dealt with, the various classes of vessels described and technical features discussed. The rules of the USSR Register of Shipping for ice-going ships are described, and the requirements for the ice-classes listed. Operational experiences with ice strengthened vessels-with and without icebreaker assistance-are discussed. Future requirements are mentioned and the types of vessels to be constructed in the forthcoming years are described. Order from NSFI as No. 19484.
- Paper presented at the Symposium on Soviet-Swedish Scientific and Technical Cooperation in Shipbuilding, 19-23 November 1979, Gothenburg.
Soviet-Swedish Sci & Tech Cooperation in ShipbuildGothenburg, Sweden
- Dorin, V S
- Logachov, S I
- Koval, G M
- Publication Date: 1979
- Pagination: 11 p.
- TRT Terms: Cargo ships; Ice; Icebreakers; Shipping; Strength of materials; Vehicle design
- Geographic Terms: Arctic Regions; Former Soviet Union; Russia (Federation)
- Old TRIS Terms: Arctic shipping; Ice strengthening; Shipping trends
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00316442
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Research Institute of Norway
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper No. 3 Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 8 1980 12:00AM