GENERAL PROBLEMS CONNECTED WITH WHEELS AND THEIR ASSEMBLY: SOLID CAST-STEEL WHEELS, WHEELS OF DIFFERENT DIAMETER AND SHAPE. FIRST CONTRIBUTION TOWARDS THE STUDY OF WHEELS WITH SMALL DIAMETER (TEXT AND APPENDICES)
The following subjects are treated in the present report RP 2, concerning "the study of the behaviour in service of small-diameter wheels" (1): preliminary enquiries and tests conducted by several Administrations represented on the Committee, the programme of tests based on the research work carried out by the UIC Working Group for "small wheels", running and braking tests already undertaken. Finally, this report explains that experience gained from the first running tests, especially those conducted on the SNCF, indicated that appreciable improvement in performance was achieved in the case of small 660-mm diameter wheels by subsituting for wheels in BV 1 or BV 2, solid rolled wheels with a slightly tempered running surface, having a carbon content lower or equal to 0.52%, a manganese content between 0.65 and 0.75%, with an ultimate tensile strength, measured at 15 mm under the running surface, higher than 82 hbar. Similarly, tests carried out on the DB have shown an improvement in the performance of 730/680 mm small wheels loaded to 9 t (18 t per axle) following the introduction of BV 1 solid wheels having a tempered running surface and a tensile strength equal to or higher than 88.2 hbar (90 kg/mm to the 2nd power). It is proposed in RP 1 that, in the light of these initial conclusions, an additional programme of work be drafted to complement the present data.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1968-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 17 p.
- TRT Terms: Brakes; Size; Steel; Stresses; Tests; Vehicle design; Vehicle tests; Wheels
- Identifier Terms: British Rail; Deutsche Bahn; Deutsche Bundesbahn; Ferrovie dello Stato; Schweizerische Bundesbahnen; Societe nationale des chemins de fer francais
- Old TRIS Terms: Brake tests; Cast steel wheels; Enquiries; Question b98; Small diameter wheels; Wheel design; Wheel size; Wheel stresses; Wrought steel wheels
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00052951
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B98/RP 2/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 16 1976 12:00AM