SOLID CAST WHEELS OF CAST STEEL. ENQUIRY REPORT
Some European railway Administrations have been approached by American manufacturers with offers to supply solid cast-steel wheels such as are being used on the American railways side-by-side with solid wrought steel wheels. As such wheels do not meet current European regulations, considerable caution will have to be exercised before any decision is taken to use them in either domestic or international services. This report examines the data provided by the American manufacturers, the opinions of European Administrations on the results of tests they have carried out, and the problems which would be raised by the use of solid cast-steel wheels. Mention is made of the financial benefits to the European Administrations if thorough technical investigations indicate the use of such wheels to the feasible, and concludes with a recommendation to set up a Specialist Committee charged with a complete study of the question.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1966-10
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 21 p.
- TRT Terms: Steel; Tests; Vehicle design; Wheels
- Identifier Terms: Deutsche Bahn; Deutsche Bundesbahn; Societe nationale des chemins de fer francais
- Old TRIS Terms: Cast steel wheels; Monobloc wheels; Question b98; Steel wheels; Wheel design
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00052950
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B98/RP 1/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 16 1976 12:00AM