ADHESION OF LOCOMOTIVES FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF THEIR CONSTRUCTION AND OPERATION. ADHESION TESTS BETWEEN WADGASSEN AND HARGARTEN. PRELIMINARY TESTS AND TESTS IN 1970
In report B 44/RP 8, the Test Machine 180000, for adhesion studies, in which various basic constructional characteristics can be altered without affecting each other, was described. This Report describes two series of tests carried out on the test machine: Preliminary tests carried out in July and August 1969, between Wadgassen (DB) and Hargarten (SNCF), to check the operation of the test machine and the various measuring apparatus and, if necessary, to carry out certain modifications. They were also intended to allow the testing staff to gain experience in the operation of the different devices. The first series of adhesion tests were carried out in September and October 1970 on the same section of line. In these tests, the influence of the running speed and, in particular, the vertical axle load, on the adhesion coefficient were examined. Although only partial results have been obtained, it has nevertheless been considered useful to give them in this report. From them, a general tendency for the coefficient of adhesion to decrease with increasing speeds can be seen, which is not new, but also a decrease in the coefficient of adhesion with increasing axle loads can be seen. A further report will give the results obtained during a series of tests carried out in April and May 1971, during which more parameters were able to be examined and many more measurements were obtained and evaluated.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1971-10
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 52 p.
- TRT Terms: Adhesion; Axle load force; Coefficient of friction; Equipment tests; Locomotives; Measuring instruments; Running speed; Statistical analysis; Train track dynamics; Vehicle design
- Identifier Terms: Deutsche Bahn; Deutsche Bundesbahn; Societe nationale des chemins de fer francais
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle loadings; Locomotive design; Question b44; Test equipment
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052949
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B44/RP 9/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 6 1976 12:00AM