SECOND HAND PROSPECTS
The paper provides a statistical analysis of the sale and purchase markets for second hand bulk carriers, combination carriers and tankers over the past ten years. It analyses, from reported sales, the movements of second hand tonnage by geographical region, the variations in price and value for various tonnage types and compares these statistics with freight indices over the same period. The statistics clearly indicate that the bulk markets have been the most directly affected by the violent political and economic changes the world has seen in the last decade and that the future outlook for the bulk shipping market will continue to be highly unstable. They further indicate a considerable movement of tonnage from traditional shipping nations to newer ones, both open registry and devloping country fleets. A dramatic re-alignment of ownership has occurred in the last few years that has wide reaching implications for the future of the shipping industry.
- Paper presented at Commodities on Bulk Shipping in the 80's, a Lloyd's of London Press Conference, the London Press Center, 13/14 December 1979.
Lloyd's of London Press LimitedSheepen Road
Colchester, Essex CO3 3LP, England
- SLATER, P
- Publication Date: 1980
- Pagination: 11 p.
- TRT Terms: Bulk carriers; Market surveys; Shipping; Statistical analysis; Statistics; Tankers
- Old TRIS Terms: Market studies; Shipping statistics; Shipping trends; Tanker fleet statistics
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00316339
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 8 1980 12:00AM