This book outlines the many advances which have taken place in the development of modern marine gearing and updates gear design, construction, installation and operation. Comprehensive treatment is given to gear hobbing and gear grinding machines; tooth loading and distribution corrections; results of tests and experience with material combinations; single and double-helical gears; gearing configurations; types of epicyclic gears; applications to single and multiple diesel engines; reversing with steam turbines, diesel engines and gas turbines; reversing with epicyclic gearing; SSS clutches; MAAG synchronous clutch coupling; gear couplings; lubrication systems; adjustable bearing housings; journal, main wheel and thrust bearings; vibration; kinematics of tooth meshing; oil/material combinations; pitting and tooth breakage; gear damage; noise.
Institute of Marine EngineersMemorial Building, 76 Mark Lane
London EC3R 7JN, England
- Shannon, J F
- Publication Date: 1977
- Pagination: 173 p.
- TRT Terms: Couplers; Design; Diesel engines; Epicyclic gears; Gear teeth; Gears; Journal bearings; Lubrication; Noise; Pitting; Reversible motors; Thrust bearings; Turbines; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Diesel reversing; Gear design; Gear lubrication; Gear noise; Gear pitting; Gear tooth loading; Reversing gears; Turbine gear design
- Subject Areas: Design; Environment; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00316323
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 8 1980 12:00AM