THE DEVELOPMENT OF IDEAS CONCERNING ICE SHIP STRENGTH
The paper describes the evolution in USSR of methods for the determination of ice loads on vessels navigating in arctic waters, in order to select the most efficient ice strengthening. Full scale trials with ice-strengthened vessels and icebreakers operating in ice conditions are described and discussed, and the ice loads evaluated. Mathematical expressions for ice breaking force, maximum shear force of ice, and impact impulse when colliding with ice are developed. Order from NSFI as No. 19504.
- Paper presented at the Symposium on Soviet-Swedish Scientific and Technical Cooperation in Shipbuilding, 19-23 November 1979, Gothenburg.
Soviet-Swedish Sci & Tech Cooperation in ShipbuildGothenburg, Sweden
- Boitsov, G V
- Paily, O M
- Publication Date: 1979
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Dynamics; Force; Ice; Ice navigation; Icebreakers; Icebreaking; Loads; Operations; Prototype tests; Set forward force; Shear strength; Strength of materials
- Geographic Terms: Arctic Regions; Former Soviet Union
- Old TRIS Terms: Arctic operations; Ice loads; Ice strengthening; Shearing force
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00316308
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Research Institute of Norway
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper No. 6 Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 8 1980 12:00AM