STUDY OF THE PROBLEM OF ADHESION OF LOCOMOTIVES FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF THEIR CONSTRUCTION AND OPERATION. REPORT OF INQUIRY
Question B 44 envisages the study of the adhesion of locomotives from the point of view of their construction and operation. It was considered, however, that a satisfactory appraisal of the effect of the constructional features of locomotives on their performance from the adhesion point of view could not be logically considered in the absence of knowledge of the value of the true coefficient of adhesion and of the manner in which it varies with operational and climatic conditions. A questionnaire was therefore devised in order to reveal the views of administrations on these basic topics. This has been reproduced herewith as Appendix I. At the time of writing, replies have not been received from three Administrations who may be expected to have valuable information to impart. It is not therefore possible to prepare a final report and the present statment, must be regarded as an interim one. Nevertheless, it is hoped that the information obtained will be sufficient to enable the Control Committee to arrive at a decision, bearing in mind the probability that the further replies will have been received by the time the Committee meets.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1960-11
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 18 p.
- TRT Terms: Adhesion; Locomotives; Questionnaires; Train track dynamics; Vehicle design; Vehicle performance
- Old TRIS Terms: Locomotive design; Locomotive performance; Question b44
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052942
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B44/RP 1/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM