This final report serves to strike a balance after eight years of work, also showing the progress of the various subsidiary problems at the beginning of 1972. In addition to a brief summary of the work done previously a somewhat more detailed account is given of some new studies (comparative tests on the brake dynamometer, effect of composition brake-blocks on the coefficient of adhesion, chemical and physical changes in the friction surfaces of composition brake-blocks and wheels). The positive side of the balance-sheet contains numerous data and findings on the brake-blocks, permitting their use - though still limited for the time being - to obtain benefits regarding economy and braking technique, and as a result of great importance, a proposal for a provisional specification for type acceptance of composition brake-blocks, corresponding to the present state of development. The negative side of the balance-sheet includes the shortcomings and drawbacks still affecting composition brake-blocks; these need to be taken into account as they restrict their application and economic advantages. Those of major importance among the still unsolved problems are the questions connected with the coefficient of adhesion between wheel and rail, metallic inclusions and the effect on the braking efficiency of weather conditions, particularly in the winter. The experts of the railways in the braking field will have to decide, with the aid of the data and findings available, on a given application of composition brake-blocks.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1972-10
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 131 p.
- TRT Terms: Adhesion; Brake shoes; Brakes; Braking; Braking performance; Coefficients; Composite materials; Quality control; Vehicle tests
- Old TRIS Terms: Adhesion coefficient; Brake tests; Question b64
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00052941
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B64/RP 10/E Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 16 1976 12:00AM