RATIONAL DESIGN OF TUNNEL SUPPORTS: AN INTERACTIVE GRAPHICS BASED ANALYSIS OF THE SUPPORT REQUIREMENTS EXCAVATIONS IN JOINTED ROCK MASSES
In the configurations used in this report, the Distinct Element method is coupled to a graphics terminal so that movements of the blocks are visually available. A survey of the methods used to analyze the behavior of jointed media is presented. Numerical verification of the Distinct Element method is provided. In particular, several comparisons to limit equilibrium solutions are presented. The discussion covers two topics: excavations that are stable without external support, and excavations that require external support.
U.S. Army Waterways Experiment Station3909 Halls Ferry Road
Vicksburg, MS United States 39180-6199
- Voegele, M D
- Publication Date: 1979-9
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 525 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer graphics; Rocks; Structural design; Tunneling; Tunnels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Interactive graphics; Tunnel design
- Old TRIS Terms: Rock tunneling; Tunnel excavation
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Geotechnology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00316252
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: GL-79-15 Tech Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 16 1980 12:00AM