EFFICIENT ENERGY UTILIZATION BY THE EXAMPLE OF RAILWAY TRAFFIC AND LOW-TEMPERATURE HEATING
The paper describes methods of efficient energy utilization and discusses a number of examples. It shows that energy conservation is especially important in the low temperature heating sector where progress can, in particular, be made in the fields of water heating and space heating. A number of improvements based on existing technologies is feasible. The paper discusses the more efficient use of energy in this sector in detail on the basis of gas-fueled heat pump systems which could considerably reduce the amount of primary and secondary energy required for space heating water heating. Concerning passenger and freight transport, the paper shows the differences in the specific consumption of several transportation systems. It demonstrates that the amount of energy required for transporting passengers or goods over a certain distance could be decreased considerably by replacing high specific energy consumption systems and by substituting, for example, diesel engines or electric traction engines for steam locomotives.
- World Energy Conference, 10th, Istanbul, Turkey, September 19-23, 1977.
World Energy ConferenceP.K. 32 Bakanlikar
- Bauermeister, K
- Brecht, C
- SCHAEFER, H
- Stoy, B
- Publication Date: 1977
- Pagination: 17 p.
- TRT Terms: Competition; Energy conservation; Energy consumption; Steam locomotives; Transportation modes
- Old TRIS Terms: Energy intensiveness
- Subject Areas: Energy; Environment; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00316238
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 16 1980 12:00AM