The author discusses ways of improving safety on roads. The methods listed are: speed limits, overtaking rules as a function of speed and visibility. Direct modifications to the road can be divided in two categories: (1) general measures such as remedial action against slippery roads and wear of tyres, measures applying to junctions, crossings and dangerous bends, night-time accidents, and (2) localized measures applied to accident black spots. (TRRL) abstract, see IRRD abstract no 107970.
Instituto de Ingenieros Tecnicos Civiles de EspanaGeneral Goded, 38
- Villegas, P
- Publication Date: 1977-5
- Pagination: 20 p.
- TRT Terms: Conferences; Crash rates; Crashes; Curves (Geometry); High risk locations; Highway curves; Highway safety; Intersections; Passing; Peat soils; Prevention; Railroad grade crossings; Rolling contact; Safety; Skid resistance; Slipperiness; Speed limits; Statistics; Tires; Traffic control; Visibility; Visibility distance; Wear
- Old TRIS Terms: Sphagnum peat
- ITRD Terms: 1643: Accident; 1663: Accident black spot; 1661: Accident prevention; 1612: Accident rate; 2872: Bend (road); 8525: Conference; 5440: Contact (tyre road); 455: Junction; 1611: On the spot accident investigation; 1822: Overtaking; 2229: Perception; 173: Policy; 8575: Public relations; 744: Public transport; 1173: Rail bound transport; 1665: Safety; 3031: Skid resistance; 624: Speed limit; 6555: Statistics; 654: Traffic control; 6793: Visibility distance
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Vehicles and Equipment; I81: Accident Statistics; I82: Accidents and Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00316197
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 6 1981 12:00AM