CONSTRUCTIONAL ARRANGEMENTS FOR IMPROVING THE RIDING STABILITY AND THE GUIDING QUALITY OF ELECTRIC AND DIESEL LOCOMOTIVES AND VEHICLES. INVESTIGATION OF RIDING STABILITY OF THE ELECTRIC CO'CO' LOCOMOTIVE NO. 1010.01 OF THE AUSTRIAN FEDERAL RAILWAYS (OBB). (TEXT, TABLES AND FIGURES)
Having obtained comprehensive results from the tests made to investigate the riding stability of some four-axled locomotives and one Bo'Bo'Bo' locomotive, Specialists Committee B 10 considered that the riding of Co'Co' locomotives should also be studied. The first locomotive with this wheel arrangement, which was selected for a complete investigation, was electric locomotive No. 1010.01 of the Austrian Federal Railways. The reasons for this were the pivotless bogies with which some locomotives of this series were equipped, an interesting linkage system performing the function of the pivot. The running gear of the Austrian 1010 class otherwise consisted of the classical elements, namely plain bearing axleboxes in axlebox guides, a tread contour of 1 : 20/1 : 10 and a suspension which, mathematically, absorbed 7% of the static load with helical springs and 93% with leaf springs. Centering of horizontal displacements in the transverse direction between bogie and body was effected by longitudinal links of 975 mm in length, and rubber springs. The locomotive was tested with three variants of the transverse coupling (between body and bogie): in the standard arrangement, i.e. with longitudinal links and rubber buffers, hence referred to as "rubber buffers in the bolster", with centring effected only by the longitudinal links, denoted by designation "bolster free", and with rigid transverse coupling, the lateral play between body and bogie having been arrested, denoted by the designation "bolster blocked". The investigation of the riding stability was carried out by measuring Group L 4 of the Bundesbahnversuchsanstalt of the DB at Minden (Westphalia) Department for the investigation of the riding stability and vibrations.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1964-6
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Electric locomotives; Locomotives; Stability (Mechanics); Steering; Tests; Train track dynamics; Vehicle design; Vehicle performance
- Identifier Terms: Osterreichische Bundesbahnen
- Old TRIS Terms: Locomotive design; Locomotive performance; Question b10
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052937
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B10/RP 9/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM