CONSTRUCTIONAL ARRANGEMENTS FOR IMPROVING THE RIDING STABILITY AND THE GUIDING QUALITY OF ELECTRIC AND DIESEL LOCOMOTIVES AND VEHICLES. MEASUREMENTS RELATING TO THE LOCOMOTIVES E 424.065 AND E 646.014 OF THE ITALIAN STATE RAILWAYS (FS)
During the last few years methods have been devleoped for measuring the guiding forces exerted by the vehicles upon the track, in particular, the Y-forces; these can be measured on the rail itself and also directly on the wheels of the vehicles. The B 10 Specialists Committee has already used these methods of measurement and the results of the tests made so far were published in Interim Reports Nos. 4, 5 and 6. The present report gives a comparison between the H-forces on a Bo'Bo' locomotive and on a Bo'Bo'Bo' locomotive of the FS and the Y-forces, which were simultaneously measured on a curved rail. This report shows that within the framework of these studies the Y-forces are more suitable for assessing the riding qualities of the vehicles than the H-force. The former especially gives a more accurate determination of the forces exerted by the vehicles on the rails than has been possible by the measurement of the H-forces only. Besides, the values of the Y-forces also supply data on the so called "coefficient of friction" when sliding in the transverse direction, when the wheel loads were simultaneously measured with a sufficient degree of accuracy.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1962-10
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 19 p.
- TRT Terms: Diesel locomotives; Dynamics; Electric locomotives; Instrumentation; Measuring instruments; Rail (Railroads); Railroad cars; Stability (Mechanics); Steering; Stresses; Tests; Train track dynamics; Wheels; Wheelsets (Railroads)
- Identifier Terms: Ferrovie dello Stato
- Old TRIS Terms: Question b10; Rail stress
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00052936
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B10/RP 8/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM