CONSTRUCTIONAL ARRANGEMENTS FOR IMPROVING THE RIDING STABILITY AND THE GUIDING QUALITY OF ELECTRIC AND DIESEL LOCOMOTIVES AND VEHICLES. RESULTS OF THE MEASUREMENTS MADE ON THE LOCOMOTIVES E 424.065 AND E 646.014 OF THE ITALIAN STATE RAILWAYS (FS). (TEXT AND ENCLOSURES 1-125)
For the purpose of investigating the riding stability the B 10 Specialists Committee selected locomotives of the FS series E 424 (BoBo) and E 646 (BoBoBo) because both types of locomotives were equipped with bogies the fundamental design of which was very similar. A characteristic feature of this bogie design was the play of the axle boxes (Zara design), sole use of laminated springs for the support of the body and also an elastic suspension of the body in the transverse direction which has been achieved by means of a centering of the bolster swing links. The motors were suspended in the bogies and equipped with quill drive, while the six-axled types of locomotives had been fitted twin motors. This made a comparison of the running gear arrangements BoBo and BoBoBo possible and, in addition, provided a basis for comparing the BoBoBo locomotive with six-axled locomotives, particularly those of the CoCo arrangement, which were to be investigated at some future data. For the purpose of assessing the riding stability of the two locomotive types the H-forces were chosen as the decisive criterion, as it had been done during the previous investigations on locomotives (see B 10 Interim Report RP 1, RP 2 and RP 3).
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1961-7
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 36 p.
- TRT Terms: Locomotives; Stability (Mechanics); Steering; Suspensions; Tests; Train track dynamics; Vehicle design; Vehicle performance
- Identifier Terms: Ferrovie dello Stato
- Old TRIS Terms: Locomotive design; Locomotive performance; Question b10
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052935
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B10/RP 7/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM