AMC FOUR WHEEL DRIVE EAGLE-A NEW DIMENSION IN TRANSPORTATION
American Motors Corporation was quick to respond to consumer interest in a new type vehicle combining the security of traditional 4WD with the comfort and convenience associated with 2WD passenger cars. The Eagle vehicle was first prototyped in 1972 and established package and design feasibility of a 4WD driveline applied to a unitized body. Four years later, with a new set of ingredients designed to overcome earlier problems of achieving NVH objectives, a concentrated development program was begun. The results, after several developmental phases, was the Eagle for the 1980 model year. The integration and application of AMC and Jeep engineering technologies that brought this project to fruition are herein described.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Lunn, R C
- Publication Date: 1980-2
- Pagination: 12 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Automotive engineering; Comfort; Four wheel drive; Technology; Vehicle design
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00315428
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 800003
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 8 1980 12:00AM