ROLLER BEARING AXLEBOXES AND AXLES. TERMINOLOGY AND CATALOGUE OF DAMAGES. POSITION OF OTHER STUDIES IN PROGRESS
On the basis of the data furnished by the Administrations on the various types of damage liable to affect roller bearing axle-boxes, it has appeared necessary to elaborate a standardized terminology of their constituent components and a common definition of these types of damage. The former aim is fulfilled by this report. The statistical data henceforth to be furnished by the Administrations can then be used for the determination of the studies to be undertaken on the maintenance or on the choice of roller bearing axle-boxes. Without awaiting the results of the pertinent enquiry, a study was undertaken in order to determine a criterion for evaluating the quality of the grease used for axle-boxes in operation. Already, at this stage it has become clear that a measurement of the iron content does not furnish a criterion enabling the condition of the bearings of an axle-box to be determined with an adequate degree of precision and the research has therefore been aimed at a more complete test on an SKF R2F testing bench. The report finally indicates the first stage of the study undertaken on the maintenance rules through a detailed analysis of the rules at present applied by the Administrations, their motives, the studies and tests conducted, either in progress or visualized.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1970-10
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 42 p.
- TRT Terms: Grease; Journal bearings; Maintenance; Roller bearings; Vehicle components
- Uncontrolled Terms: Performance analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Question b95
- Subject Areas: Maintenance and Preservation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00052922
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B95/RP 2/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 17 1976 12:00AM