PROBLEMS CONNECTED WITH THE DESIGN, ASSEMBLY AND MAINTENANCE OF TRAILER STOCK WHEELSETS. TESTS ON PASSENGER COACHES TO DETERMINE THE MAXIMUM PERMISSIBLE OUT-OF-ROUNDNESS OF WHEELS (SPEEDS LOWER THAN 150 KM/HR)
Item I.2 of the Programme of Work of Committee B 79, approved by the Control Committee at its meeting in June 1964, included the examination of the geometric qualities and dynamic balancing of wheel-sets of coaches destined to run at high speeds. This report describes the tests performed on the rolling test bench at Minden with a view to determining the maximum permissible out-of-roundness of wheels while maintaining an acceptable value with reference to oscillations, and a satisfactory coach stability. These tests, which are aimed at keeping wheel-set maintenance within reasonable limits, were carried out on three passenger coaches made available to the Committee by the DB, CFF and SNCF. The results obtained show that, in the test conditions using a rigid-based test bench corresponding only approximately to an actual track, satisfactory riding would be obtained by stipulating a maximum out-of-roundness of plus/minus 0.3 mm for wheels leaving the repair shops. These out-of-roundness values are only valid for speeds up to 150 km/hr and for conventional coaches of the same type as those tested. For higher speeds, and for coaches of clearly different design, other tests could be contemplated.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1967-11
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 15 p.
- TRT Terms: Measuring instruments; Passenger cars; Railroad cars; Ride quality; Tests; Vehicle design; Vehicle maintenance; Wheels; Wheelsets (Railroads)
- Identifier Terms: Deutsche Bahn; Deutsche Bundesbahn; Schweizerische Bundesbahnen; Societe nationale des chemins de fer francais
- Old TRIS Terms: Out of roundness; Question b79; Wheel design; Wheel maintenance
- Subject Areas: Design; Maintenance and Preservation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00052915
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B79/RP 5/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 17 1976 12:00AM