PROBLEMS CONNECTED WITH THE DESIGN, ASSEMBLY AND MAINTENANCE OF TRAILER STOCK WHEELSETS. CONTRIBUTION TO THE DETERMINATION OF THE OPTIMUM CONDITIONS FOR FITTING THE WHEELS ONTO THE AXLE
This report is a supplement to Interim Report No. 1 which deals with point III of the Programme of Work. It describes the results of tests of pressing solid wheels on and off the axles of hauled stock. This report explains the object of this second series of tests and describes how they were carried out; it also contains the measurements made and the results recorded, for: the loads for pressing-on and pressing-off, the relations between these loads, and the geometric errors of the components after pressing-off, as well as the conclusions concerning the deformation of the bosses and the bores obtained by strain-gauge measurements described in Appendix 2. One of the aims of these tests was to find the causes of distortion of the bores observed during the previous tests and mentioned in RP 1. These tests have also enabled it to be demonstrated that an assembly put together according to the recommendations of RP 1 for the surface condition, the pressing-on load and the lubrication is a good solid job. Moreover, the performance of these tests has enabled one Administration to work out a method for obtaining, with normal machine tools, a surface condition which is within the two limits provisionally fixed. This study was described in an article published in the January 1966 edition of the magazine "Glasers Annalen". In order to know how assemblies put together by the methods used in the tests will behave in service, some additional tests will be necessary. It seems, that as a first step, some tests carried out in the laboratory on specimens, could make a useful contribution. This is the action that the Committee proposes to take.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1966-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 34 p.
- TRT Terms: Equipment tests; Measuring instruments; Railroad cars; Tests; Vehicle maintenance; Wheels; Wheelsets (Railroads)
- Old TRIS Terms: Question b79; Test equipment; Wheel axle interference; Wheel maintenance; Wheel mounting techniques; Wheel presses
- Subject Areas: Maintenance and Preservation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00052913
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B79/RP 2/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 17 1976 12:00AM