VARIABLES IN REINFORCED RIM
In order to meet governmental requirements for automotive fuel economy, light weight materials must replace conventional materials. Reinforced reaction injection molded (RRIM) polyurethanes are expected to play a major role in weight reduction. Variations which must be considered in producing RRIM include the machinery, resin matrix, reinforcing material, and processing effects. Suitable production equipment appears to have been developed. Milled glass fiber reinforced RIM appears ready to compete on a commercial basis with SMC and BMC for exterior automotive applications. RRIM parts are self-supporting in this sections, have a coefficient of thermal expansion approaching that of steel, and have very low shrinkage rates.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- McBrayer, R L
- Publication Date: 1980-2
- Pagination: 21 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobile industry; Automotive engineering; Building materials; Fuels; Glass fibers; Polyurethane resins; Regulations; Reinforced plastics
- Subject Areas: Energy; Geotechnology; Highways; Law; Materials; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00315115
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 800515
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 27 1980 12:00AM