Study of the influence of nano-TiO2 on the properties of Portland cement concrete for application on road surfaces
This paper reports the results obtained in a study on the effect of the addition of TiO₂ nanoparticles on the mechanical properties and microstructural characteristics of photocatalytic concretes. Concretes were produced with three types of TiO2: anatase I (10–30 nm), anatase II (50–80 nm) and rutile (10 × 40 nm), with contents of 3%, 6% and 10% in relation to the mass of Portland cement. Besides these mixtures, a reference concrete was prepared without the addition of TiO₂ . In the hardened state, tests to determine the compressive strength and modulus of elasticity were carried out. Also, microstructural aspects of the samples were investigated by scanning electron microscopy and mercury intrusion porosimetry. In the fresh state, the influence of the addition of TiO₂ on the concrete compaction and conduction calorimetry curves was evaluated. The results obtained indicated that, with the addition of TiO₂, there was an increase in the compressive strength at 28 days and a reduction in the modulus of elasticity of the concretes. The calorimetry results indicated greater formation of C–S–H (calcium silicate hydrate)-type structures in the photocatalytic concretes. The porosimetry and structural equation method (SEM) results showed a better distribution and refinement of the pores in these concretes.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/14680629
- © 2017 Informa UK Limited, trading as Taylor & Francis Group. Abstract reprinted with permission of Taylor & Francis.
- Staub de Melo, João Victor
- Trichês, Glicério
- Publication Date: 2018-7
- Pagination: pp 1011-1026
- TRT Terms: Mechanical properties; Nanostructured materials; Portland cement concrete; Structural equation modeling; Surface course (Pavements)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Titanium dioxide
- Subject Areas: Highways; Materials; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 01670537
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 22 2018 3:00PM