FORECASTS OF FREIGHT SYSTEM DEMAND AND RELATED RESEARCH NEEDS
The workshop considers the overall or aggregate demand for freight transportation, and also the demand for several of the major freight commodities. It looks at the estimates for growth in freight demand, taking into account possible alternative ways this country may be developing in the future in terms of problems with energy, productivity, life-style, and other important issues. The workshop also attempts to identify the types of research that will be needed to bring about improvement in forecasting techniques so that, knowing some of the aspects of the demand, the Department of Transportation and other departments will be able to devise better policies for the different modes for financing, for improvements to technology, and for better institutional arrangements. Specific topics discussed include: Transportation modeling and Freight Demand Trends; Corporate Planning - Modal Transportation Corporate Planning with regard to Transportation Demand for Durable Goods, Nondurable Goods, Energy Commodities, and Bulk Cargos.
National Academy of Sciences2101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20418
- Publication Date: 1979
- Pagination: 190 p.
- TRT Terms: Business administration; Businesses; Commodities; Demand; Energy; Forecasting; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Highway capacity; Markets; Mathematical models; Planning; Research; Statistics; Transportation; Transportation planning
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transportation models
- Old TRIS Terms: Commodity statistics; Energy demand; Freight markets; Transportation capacity; Transportation research
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Energy; Planning and Forecasting; Research; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00315042
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-70001
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 27 1980 12:00AM