RECOMMENDED PACKING MATERIALS FOR MARINE USE
This Shipbuilding Industry Standard has been prepared by the British Ship Research Association and specifies recommendations for the application of packing materials to prevent fluid leakage for both dynamic and static applications such as for machinery and steelwork closures (e.g. weather-tight hatches). The intention of the standard is to attempt to rationalize the very wide range of materials commercially available which should result in more economical and efficient stockholding. However, there are proprietary types of packings designed for specific applications, therefore the packing categories specified in this standard should be considered in association with any recommendations made by the packing manufacturer. It should be noted that whilst the standard may be used in general, it is mainly directed at those installations under the control of an individual shipbuilder, shiprepairer or shipowner and that if it is desired to implement the recommendations of the standard into "bought in" equipment this should be specified in any purchase order or contract. This standard makes reference to the following publications: BS 4371 Fibrous gland packings, BS MA 51 Summary and application of pipework flanges for marine use, Part 4. Alloy steel flanges.
- Copies of BSRA Shipbuilding Industry Standards are available from BSRA at a cost of 1 English Pound each.
British Ship Research AssociationWallend Research Station
- Publication Date: 1978-10
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Permeability; Sealing compounds; Seals (Devices); Shafts (Machinery)
- Old TRIS Terms: Seal materials; Shaft seals; Watertight integrity
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00314981
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Report/Paper Numbers: SIS 28
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 27 1980 12:00AM