RATIONAL EVALUATION OF SHIP SPEED
Project Area C, the "rational evaluation of ships speed", forms part of the SFB 98 (Special Research Field 98) programme of the German Research Association (DFG). The main study, entitled "The Safety and Economy of Faster and/or Larger Ships" was inaugurated as a result of the rapid and unforeseen developments in ship size and power of the 1960s. The main objective of the investigation, which was divided into a number of sub-projects, was to determine the technical and economic factors which most significantly affect the choice of operating parameters, e.g. capacity and speed, for ships of all types. For introductory discussion, the work carried out within Project Area C is grouped into three main parts; (1) Macrosystem Ship and Environment, (2) Microsystem Propulsion Machinery and (3) Microsystem Power Generation and Distribution on Board Ship. The contributions of the participating organisations to the various sub-projects are arranged as follows: Sub-Project C1: The Economic Evaluation of the Substitutive Design Parameters Ship Size and Ship Speed in Line Service by Means of a Fleet Model. Sub-Project C2: Statistical Analysis of the Resistance of Ship Models. Sub-Project C3: Influence of Service Conditions on Ship Speed and Propulsive Power. Sub-Project C4: Propulsion and Engine-Excited Vibrations. Sub-Project C5: Utilisation of Waste Heat on Board Ship for Supplying Electrical Energy taking account of the Normal Heat Requirement. Sub-Project C6: Safety and Economy of Electrical Equipment on Board Ships. Sub-Project C7: Unconventional Ships. Order from BSRA as No. 52,594.
Deutsche ForschungsgemeinschaftKennedyallee 40
53 Bonn-Bad Godesbrg, Germany
- Publication Date: 1979-5
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 264 p.
- TRT Terms: Economic analysis; Electric power generation; Engines; Performance; Propulsion; Ship motion; Ship operations; Ships; Ships by size; Speed; Structural models; Vehicle power plants; Vibration; Waste heat utilization
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ship models
- Old TRIS Terms: Economic analysis (Ship operation); Engine vibration; Propulsion machinery; Propulsive performance; Ship speed prediction
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Economics; Energy; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00314977
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 27 1980 12:00AM