STUDIES OF THE POSSIBILITIES OF CLASSIFYING WELDING ELECTRODES ACCORDING TO FUME GENERATION
Fume generation can be measured in different ways. One method is to measure the fume in the breathing zone. The results tell us about the exposure of the welder to particulate fume. As the results are influenced by ventilation and the working situation they cannot be used for classifying electrodes. To make this possible the total fume emission must be measured and again there are different possibilities. Attempts have been made to simulate a working site e.g.--by welding in a room of a definite size, 15-20 cu.m. The amount of fumes has then been measured in one place in this room either after welding for a certain length of time or with a certain number of electrodes. This method and others like it have however several draw backs and cannot be used for grading electrodes. The Swedish electrode manufacturers within the Swedish Welding Commission Committee 8 therefore developed a new method where the total amount of fumes produced by a specific electrode was measured. Using this principle the measuring method can be more well defined and reproducible results can be obtained. The result of the cooperative research was the Swedish fume box. The use of this apparatus has been thoroughly discussed during recent years by Commission II (SC IIE) (specially in connection with classification of electrodes) and will therefore be the main theme for this presentation. Other types of fume boxes are also briefly discussed.
- Presented at the Colloquium on Welding and Health, 8 July 1980, Estoril, Portugal.
International Institute of Welding,
- Magnusson, E J
- Rosendahl, C H
- Publication Date: 1980
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Electrodes; Fumes; Health hazards; Materials; Measuring instruments; Pollutants; Safety; Welding
- Old TRIS Terms: Electrode materials; Emission factors; Welder safety; Welding electrodes; Welding fumes
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00314957
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: II-923-80 Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 27 1980 12:00AM