CONTINUOUS MEASUREMENT AND CONTROL OF THE SPEED OF WAGONS SHUNTED OVER HUMPS. COSTS OF THE VARIOUS SYSTEMS
The report contains a calculation of the costs of automatic hump yards, incurred for the following systems: (a) DB system with primary and secondary retarders and conveyor devices; (b) SNCF system with primary and secondary retarders; (c) BR system with hydraulic retarding and boosting units. The cost calculation according to uniform standards is based on the installations described in Report D 74/RP 4 with 32 and 48 sorting sidings and it covers: (a) The cost of investments, (b) Capital charges, (c) Operating cost. For each installation the total costs and the specific total costs relative to one shunted wagon are indicated. A comparative assessment of the various systems according to the cost involved is rather problematic on account of the divergent economic conditions. The indicated details can only be used as informatory for special investigations.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1971-4
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 29 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Capital costs; Classification yards; Costs; Hump yards; Layout; Operating costs; Railroad yards; Retarder control; Retarders (Concrete)
- Identifier Terms: British Rail; Deutsche Bahn; Deutsche Bundesbahn; Societe nationale des chemins de fer francais
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Booster retarder systems; Cost of capital; Dowty retarders; Primary retarders; Question d74; Retarders; Secondary retarders; Yard layout
- Subject Areas: Finance; Freight Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00052893
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: D74/RP 5/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 23 1976 12:00AM