DISTRIBUTION OF AXLE-LOADS ON BALLASTED SLAB BRIDGES. PRELIMINARY INVESTIGATIONS AND MEASUREMENTS (V4 TESTS)
This report covers the first of a series of 13 tests on ballasted solid double-beam slab bridge elements with a view to determining the transverse distribution of the axle-loads. It also contains the results of theoretical preliminary investigations and trials in connection with the test procedure. With a beam-and-slab bridge element 4 metres wide and 1.95 metres long measurements were taken of the ballast pressure exerted on the slab and also of the changes in the form and position of the element under loads of 100, 200 and 300 kN. The most important results are that: 1. The ballast pressure is concentrated in a zone underneath the rails. 2. The resultant of the ballast pressure under one half of the sleeper is displaced in the direction of the sleeper support as the load increases.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1971-4
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRT Terms: Axle loads; Ballast (Railroads); Bridge decks; Bridge engineering; Bridges; Concrete bridges; Load transfer; Stresses; Structural tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ballast; Bridge structures
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle loadings; Bridge stresses; Question d115
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052891
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: D115/RP 1/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 23 1976 12:00AM