PIGGYBACK: THE EFFICIENT ALTERNATIVE FOR THE 80'S
The purpose of this report is to provide management of transportation and related firms, the wider business community, government and industry officials, and the public with a detailed analysis of the important role of intermodal transportation. It also provides an understanding of the advantages of intermodal transportation as well as the deficiencies which should be corrected, and a plan to exploit TOFC's oppportunities. In analyzing prospects for 1990, the following conclusions were reached. The TOFC market could realistically grow at an annual rate of 11 to 12 percent until 1990, becoming as large as 10 to 12 million trailerloads, or nearly quadruple the current market. Shippers will support increased TOFC use if reasonable service improvements are made; Rising energy costs will exert both political and economic pressure for expanded use of TOFC; Operating improvements currently being carried out in some railroads will make TOFC more cost competitive; some companies already have found ways of streamlining operations and realizing major savings; and Regulatory changes that will promote a modern integrated intermodal system are increasingly likely; such change is vital to stimulating growth of TOFC. The report also includes nineteen tables and charts.
- Price: $125.
Booz-Allen and Hamilton, Incorporated4330 East-West Highway
Bethesda, MD United States 20814
Transamerica Interway Incorporated522 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY United States 10036
- Publication Date: 1980-3-3
- Pagination: 82 p.
- TRT Terms: Competition; Container on flat car; Economic analysis; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Intermodal transportation; Market assessment; Markets; Piggyback transportation; Policy; Trailer on flat car; Transportation modes
- Old TRIS Terms: Economic analysis (Tofc); Freight markets
- Subject Areas: Economics; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Policy;
- Accession Number: 00314764
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 27 1980 12:00AM