EFFECT OF LIQUID STORAGE TANKS ON THE DYNAMIC RESPONSE OF OFFSHORE PLATFORMS
An analysis technique that can predict the dynamic response of offshore structures to random ocean waves. The method highlights simply and quickly those aspects of a structural design most likely to need improvement in withstanding design loads and, furthermore, provides a tool for structural optimization. Experimental verification and generalization of the method to a number of structures were the goals of this research. High resolution spectral analysis techniques were developed to aid in the accurate determination of natural frequencies, mode shapes, and damping ratios of offshore structures excited by ocean waves.
- A reprint from Applied Ocean Research, 1979, Vol. 1, No. 2. Available from MIT Sea Grant Office at a cost of $1.00.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyDepartment of Ocean Engineering, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
- Vandiver, J K
- Publication Date: 1979
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Dynamic loads; Excitation; Force; Natural frequency; Offshore platforms; Spectrum analysis; Structural analysis; Structural design; Structural mechanics; Waves
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response; Natural frequencies; Structural response
- Old TRIS Terms: Offshore platform design; Wave forces on structures
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00314763
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: MITSG-79-9J
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 27 1980 12:00AM