ADELAIDE IN-DEPTH ACCIDENT STUDY 1975-1979. PART 5: COMMERCIAL VEHICLE ACCIDENTS
This study was sponsored by the Office of Road Safety, Commonwealth Department of Transport and the Australian Road Research Board. This report deals with accidents involving trucks, vans, buses and multi-purpose vehicles, not all of which were being used as commercial vehicles. There were relatively few single vehicle accidents, apart from those involving pedestrians, and the reluctance of semi-trailer drivers to brake hard at signalised intersections and insecure loads of some heavy vehicles distinguished these accidents from those involving only passenger cars. All but one of the drivers of these commercial vehicles were males, most of whom were aged between 20 and 50 years. None of these drivers were affected by alcohol intoxication to a significant degree, nor was fatigue a factor in any of these accidents. Although none of the commercial vehicle occupants was severely injured, the provision and use of seat belts may have avoided many of the injuries which did occur. Some multi-purpose passenger vehicles are deficient, when compared to passenger cars, in terms of protecting their occupants from injury in a crash (a). (TRRL)
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/0908204019
- Sponsored by Office of Road Safety, Department of Transport; and Australian Road Research Board. Part 1 is HS-028 696; Parts 2 and 3 are HS-028 697.
University of AdelaideNorth Terrace
Adelaide, South Australia Australia 5005
- McLean, A J
- Aust, H S
- Sandow, B L
- Publication Date: 1979
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 38 p.
- TRT Terms: Braking; Buses; Crash investigation; Crash severity; Crashes; Delivery vehicles; Drivers; Injuries; Intersections; Manual safety belts; Pedestrians; Statistical sampling; Traffic crashes; Traffic signals; Trailers; Trucks; Urban areas; Vans; Vehicle occupants; Vehicle safety; Vehicles
- Geographic Terms: Australia
- Old TRIS Terms: Multiple purpose vehicles; Vehicular safety
- ITRD Terms: 1643: Accident; 8006: Australia; 1874: Braking; 1272: Bus; 1234: Delivery vehicle; 1772: Driver; 455: Junction; 1236: Lorry; 1733: Pedestrian; 1476: Safety belt; 6553: Sample (stat); 565: Traffic signal; 1203: Trailer; 313: Urban area; 1715: Vehicle occupant
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Motor Carriers; Passenger Transportation; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment; I80: Accident Studies; I81: Accident Statistics;
- Accession Number: 00314693
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB Group Ltd.
- ISBN: 0 908204 01 9
- Report/Paper Numbers: Monograph, HS-028 698
- Files: HSL, ITRD, TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Nov 19 1984 12:00AM