ADELAIDE IN-DEPTH ACCIDENT STUDY 1975-1979. PART 3: PEDAL CYCLE ACCIDENTS
This study was sponsored by the Office of Road Safety, Commonwealth Department of Transport and the Australian Road Research Board. This report contains descriptions of the causes and consequences of the pedal cycle accidents contained in a representative sample of road traffic accidents to which an ambulance was called in metropolitan Adelaide. Reviews of the relevant characteristics of the cyclists and drivers, the vehicles, and the road and traffic environment are also included. One-third of these 22 accidents involved a child cyclist who was riding carelessly on a residential street. The other two-thirds mostly involved adult cyclists on arterial roads, and were a consequence of errors made equally by the cyclists and the drivers. Alcohol intoxication was not a significant factor in any of these accidents. Almost all of the cyclists were injured, and their injuries were often very severe. The front of the striking car caused two-thirds of the severe injuries. A number of possible countermeasures and topics worthy of further investigation are listed at the end of the report (a). (TRRL)
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/0908204019
- Sponsored by Office of Road Safety, Department of Transport and Australian Road Research Board. Part 1 is HS-028 696, Parts 4 and 5 are HS-028 698.
University of AdelaideNorth Terrace
Adelaide, South Australia Australia 5005
- McLean, A J
- Brewer, N D
- Sandow, B L
- Publication Date: 1979
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 38 p.
- TRT Terms: Adults; Arterial highways; Bicycles; Children; Crash causes; Crash severity; Crashes; Cyclists; Drivers; Drunk drivers; Drunk driving; Emergency vehicles; Errors; Human factors; Injuries; Injury severity; Residential areas; Statistical sampling; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety; Urban areas; Vehicles
- Uncontrolled Terms: Causes
- Geographic Terms: Australia
- ITRD Terms: 1643: Accident; 1747: Adult; 8006: Australia; 1211: Bicycle; 9003: Cause; 1758: Child; 1742: Cyclist; 1772: Driver; 1261: Emergency vehicle; 6440: Error; 2257: Human factor; 307: Residential area; 6553: Sample (stat); 1623: Severity (accid, injury); 313: Urban area; 1255: Vehicle
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment; I80: Accident Studies; I81: Accident Statistics;
- Accession Number: 00314691
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB Group Ltd.
- ISBN: 0 908204 01 9
- Report/Paper Numbers: Monograph, HS-028 697
- Files: HSL, ITRD, TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Nov 19 1984 12:00AM