ADELAIDE IN-DEPTH ACCIDENT STUDY 1975-1979. PART 1: AN OVERVIEW
This study was sponsored by the Office of Road Safety, Commonwealth Department of Transport and the Australian Road Research Board. This report is a general introduction to, and review of, an in-depth study of road accidents to which an ambulance was called in the metropolitan area of Adelaide, South Australia. A representative 8 per cent sample, comprising 304 accidents, was investigated in the 12-month period commencing March 23rd 1976. The general aims of this study are presented followed by a detailed description of the sampling procedure which was adopted. The method of operation is then described, and the types of accidents investigated are presented in form of the general characteristics of the accidents and of the drivers, riders, and pedestrians, together with a review of the consequences of these accidents. The major conclusions drawn from the results of the study are described briefly, including the ways in which factors such as alcohol and inexperience affect the safety of road users, the role played by vehicle factors and aspects of the road and traffic environment in accident causation, the main causes of injury to each class of roaduser and the value of helmets and seatbelts. The companion reports on specific aspects of the accidents investigated are listed in the final section (a). (TRRL) IRRD abstracts nos 239617 to 239620.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/0908204000
- Sponsored by Office of Road Safety, Department of Transport and Australian Road Research Board. Parts 2 and 3 are HS-028 697, Parts 4 and 5 are HS-028 698.
University of AdelaideNorth Terrace
Adelaide, South Australia Australia 5005
- McLean, A J
- Robinson, G K
- Publication Date: 1979
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 63 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash causes; Crash investigation; Crashes; Data collection; Driver performance; Drivers; Driving; Drunk drivers; Drunk driving; Helmets; Injuries; Intoxication; Manual safety belts; Metropolitan areas; Motor skills; Motorcyclists; On the scene crash investigation; Passengers; Pedestrians; Personnel performance; Sampling; Speed; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety; Urban areas
- Geographic Terms: Australia
- ITRD Terms: 1643: Accident; 8006: Australia; 8623: Data acquisition; 2231: Drunkenness; 1752: Motorcyclist; 1611: On the spot accident investigation; 1733: Pedestrian; 6253: Sampling; 2205: Skill (road user); 5408: Speed; 313: Urban area
- Subject Areas: Highways; Passenger Transportation; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Safety and Human Factors; I80: Accident Studies; I81: Accident Statistics;
- Accession Number: 00314689
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB Group Limited
- ISBN: 0 908 204 00 0
- Report/Paper Numbers: Monograph, HS-028 696
- Files: HSL, ITRD, TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Nov 19 1984 12:00AM