A SPECIAL REPORT ON THE HIGHWAY WEIGHT LIMIT
The intent of this report is to be fair to all parties concerned in developing recommendations for laws whose effects will permit the fullest economic development for Mississippi while simultaneously protecting the state's investment in highways and protecting the safety of the motoring public. The report will examine, in a logical progression: the positive effects of increasing the allowable truck weight including the state's overall economy and movement of goods; the negative effects of increasing the maximum allowable truck weight including pertinent factors of highway pavement and bridge design, stress and damage caused by increased loading, and the safety of the motoring public; an analysis of the positive and negative factors involved, a review of the state highway system, impacts of weight limits on the state highway system, and additional reconstruction and maintenance funds that will be required immediately if the proposed truck weight increase is enacted into law. Last but not least will be a chapter discussing the weight limit enforcement including the present enforcement laws and further enforcement recommendations. (Author)
- Prepared for The Mississippi Legislature as directed by Senate Resolution No. 31.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1976-11
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 75 p.
- TRT Terms: Axle loads; Bridges; Economic benefits; Economic impacts; Freight traffic; Highway maintenance; Load limits; Traffic loads; Traffic safety; Trucks; Trucks by weight; Weight
- Uncontrolled Terms: Increase
- Old TRIS Terms: Truck effects (Bridges); Truck highway damage; Truck pavement damage
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Economics; Freight Transportation; Highways; Motor Carriers; Society; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00314605
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Oct 27 1980 12:00AM