THERMAL AND SHRINKAGE CRACKING IN REINFORCED CONCRETE
The project examines the mechanisms of crack formation in restrained, lightly reinforced members subjected only to tension induced by shrinkage and cooling. The minimum ratios of various types of reinforcement required to prevent yield of the steel across a single crack, and the ratios required to ensure a pattern of cracks of acceptable width, were determined. A finite difference analysis was evolved and shown to predict accurately the crack spacings and widths in a member. A simplified analysis was also developed. As a reslt of the understanding of the problem provided by the first stage of the research, and because of the large reinforcement ratios shown to be necessary for adequate crack control by conventional reinforcement, a new and unconventional approach to the problem was proposed and investigated. It was shown that the concept of internal crack initiators and "strategic reinforcement" could be used to ensure a pattern of cracks of predetermined spacing and width, to suit a range of exposure conditions, with very much less steel than would be required with conventional reinforcement practice. The method would seem to be particularly applicable to continuously reinforced road pavements, long retaining walls and in suspended slabs with a large length to width ratio (A).
Australian Engineering & Bldg Indust Res Asoc Ltd191 Royal Parade
Parkville, Victoria, Australia
- Base, G D
- Murray, M H
- Publication Date: 1978-1
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRT Terms: Concrete; Control; Cooling; Cracking; Length; Ratios; Reinforced concrete; Shrinkage; Slabs; Thermal stresses; Width
- Uncontrolled Terms: Concrete cracking; Patterns
- Old TRIS Terms: Shrinkage cracks
- ITRD Terms: 6711: Cooling (mater); 5211: Cracking; 2955: Pavement; 4794: Reinforced concrete; 3471: Reinforcement (in mater); 4743: Shrinkage; 3096: Strengthening (pavement); 6722: Temperature; 5502: Tension
- Subject Areas: Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00314527
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB Group Ltd.
- Report/Paper Numbers: Monograph
- Files: ITRD, TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Dec 30 1980 12:00AM