STRESSES IN THE RAILS, THE BALLAST AND IN THE FORMATION RESULTING FROM TRAFFIC LOADS. CLASSIFICATION OF BALLAST PRESCRIPTIONS
The ballast used for the permanent way (nature of ballast materials, granular structure, shape of the grains) is of decisive importance for the quality of the permanent way, and, consequently, for the riding quality. An elastic, stable and weather-resistant ballast bed is the first condition for a well-laid track and low maintenance expenditure. Investigations concerning the static and dynamic elasticity of the ballast have therefore been added to the programme of work for Question D 71. Within the scope of studies preceding those in the laboratory on behalf of Question D 71 in the Stevin laboratory of the Delft Technical University, the research group (Railways) of the Highway and Hydraulic Engineering Department has compiled a list of specifications concerning ballast materials used by fourteen European Administrations. Also the relevant prescriptions and conditions in the various countries pertaining to the individual properties of the ballast materials such as quality, grain shapes and sizes, etc. have been represented.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1967-6
- Pagination: 62 p.
- TRT Terms: Ballast (Railroads); Dynamic tests; Inspection; Rail (Railroads); Railroad tracks; Soil stabilization; Specifications; Stabilized materials; Static tests; Stresses; Tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ballast; Subgrade stability
- Old TRIS Terms: Ballast quality; Ballast specifications; Ballast stabilization; Question d71; Rail stress; Track component investigations
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052872
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: D71/RP 7/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 9 1976 12:00AM