FIRE AND FLAMMABILITY CHARACTERISTICS OF MATERIALS USED IN RAIL PASSENGER CARS. A LITERATURE SURVEY
A literature search was conducted to provide information on the flammability characteristics of materials that are used, or have potential use, in furnishing the interiors of rail passenger cars. Among the characteristics of interest were the ignition temperature, time to reach ignition, the rate of flame spread, the rate of combustion or rate of material loss, rate of heat liberation, heat transfer from flames, the evaluation of smoke, the measurement of smoke density, and the evolution and toxicological effect of the products of combustion. In addition, information was collected on flammability test methods, fire prevention standards or codes, and statistical data concerning accidents involving vehicle fires of interior origin. The information compiled is to be used to assist the Federal Railroad Administration, Department of Transportation (FRA/DOT) in establishing safety standards regarding the flammability of the materials used in the interiors of rail passenger cars. 226 References are given.
- Shared Bibliographic Input Experiment.
Aberdeen Proving GroundsArmy Armament Res & Dev Command, Ballistics Research Lab
Aberdeen, MD USA 21005
- Rakaczky, J A
- Publication Date: 1980-4
- Pagination: 101 p.
- TRT Terms: Burning rate; Combustion; Crashes; Fire prevention; Fire resistant materials; Fires; Flame propagation; Flammability; Flammability tests; Guides to the literature; Hazards; Heat transfer; High temperature; Ignition; Literature reviews; Passenger cars; Plastics; Polymers; Pyrolysis; Railroad cars; Safety; Smoke; Standards; Synthetic fibers; Synthetics; Test procedures; Toxicity; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fire hazards; Internal
- Old TRIS Terms: Combustion products; Passenger car design
- Subject Areas: Design; Energy; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00314149
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: ARBRL-MR-03009 Final Rpt., SBIE-AD-e430-406
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 27 1980 12:00AM