A SIMPLE SYSTEM FOR DATA ACQUISITION AND PHOTOGRAMMETRIC ANALYSIS IN TRAFFIC ACCIDENT INVESTIGATIONS
A simple method for the recording, documentation, and analysis of metric (measurable) traffic accident information using photogrammetric related techniques is presented. Using nonmetric cameras and perspective grid theory, this economical system will meet or exceed the quality of traffic accident diagrams prepared using conventional investigation survey techniques. Integrated procedures for stereoscopic coverage and extension from planimetric to three dimensional mensuration are developed. A literature review is included which describes the European use of stereometric systems applications to traffic accidents and their success with these systems. Reference is also made to courtroom admissibility of the accident diagrams and photography. Also, a pilot project conception is offered. This conception minimizes training burdens, can be initiated in phases and can be evaluated without disrupting current procedures. (Author)
- Master's thesis.
Army Military Personnel Cente5001 Eisenhower Avenue
Alexandria, VA United States 22333
- Howarth, A D
- Publication Date: 1980-2-29
- Pagination: 79 p.
- TRT Terms: Cameras; Crash investigation; Data collection; Grids (Coordinates); Information systems; Measurement; Photogrammetry; Surveys; Theses; Traffic; Traffic crashes
- Non-Preferred Terms: Three dimensional
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents
- Old TRIS Terms: Stereometric systems
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors; I82: Accidents and Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00314133
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 27 2002 12:00AM