A SECTION 147 RURAL TRANSPORTATION DEMONSTRATION MANUAL. NUMBER 1. RURAL PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION SERVICES AND PERFORMANCE
The manual summarizes the lessons that have been learned from the Section 147 Rural Transit Demonstrations about service and fare policies, and performance and costs. The report concludes that rural transit services have to be innovative, combining conventional transit operations with fixed routes and regular schedules with various forms of paratransit, to meet the specific needs of individual areas. The report also emphasizes the need for careful monitoring of costs and system performance as transit services develop. The report provides capsule summaries of system characteristics and performance for selected projects, identified by State.
- See also Number 2, PB80-181407. Also available in set of 5 reports PC E13, PB80-181381.
Washington, DC United States 20037
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- McGillivray, R
- Ernst, U
- Olsson, M L
- Tolson, F
- Publication Date: 1979-8
- Pagination: 39 p.
- TRT Terms: Coordination; Demonstration projects; Fares; Fixed routes; Level of service; Manuals; Needs assessment; Paratransit services; Performance; Policy; Public transit; Routes; Rural areas; Scheduling; Systems engineering; Transportation; Transportation planning; Transportation policy
- Uncontrolled Terms: Services
- Subject Areas: Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Transportation (General); I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00314079
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-I-79-4
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 5 2002 12:00AM