SPECIAL ADJUDICATION FOR ENFORCEMENT (SAFE). VOLUME II
The Special Adjudication for Enforcement (SAFE) Project was a demonstration project for an innovative parajudicial method of adjudication for minor traffic offenses. The SAFE Project was conducted for an 18-month period and operated as a subsystem of normal District Court operations within the King County (Seattle, Washington) area. The purpose of the project was to reduce the backlog of minor traffic cases (moving forfeitable), which accounted for approximately 65 to 70 percent of the courts' overall filings (total traffic filings accounted for approximately 77 percent of the courts' overall filings), and to provide an alternative to the time-consuming arraignment/trial process for those defendants wishing to contest their traffic violations. The SAFE Project was intended to test the feasibility of integrating the SAFE magistrates and streamlined procedures into normal court operations and to determine the cost effectiveness, overall acceptance of the program by law enforcement and judicial personnel, and benefits and convenience to the public.
- See also Volume 1, PB80-179872 and PB80-102106. Report on King County District Courts. Also available as set of 3 reports PC E08, PB80-179856.
Washington State Off of the Admin for the CourtsTemple of Justice
Olympia, WA USA 98504
Washington, DC USA 20590
- ARNOLD, D
- Fleissner, D
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Pagination: 118 p.
- TRT Terms: Adjudication; Benefits; Cost effectiveness; Courts; Demonstration projects; Evaluation; Hearings; Law enforcement; Laws; Traffic regulations; Traffic safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Traffic laws; Violations
- Geographic Terms: Washington (State)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00314064
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-805-306, Annual Report
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-343-3-682
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 5 2002 12:00AM