THE UMTA RAIL MODERNIZATION PROGRAM: EVALUATION OF THE IMPACTS OF SECTION 3 CAPITAL GRANTS FOR RAIL REHABILITATION AND MODERNIZATION, 1965-1977
The report is an evaluation of the Urban Mass Transportation Administration grants for the modernization of existing rail systems. From the beginning of the Section 3 Capital Grant Program through May 31, 1977, Section 3 grant approvals amounted to approximately $6.2 billion. Of this total, $1.7 billion, or 28 percent was approved for the rehabilitation, replacement and upgrading of existing rail systems. The report contains an inventory of rail modernization projects by type, mode (rapid rail, light rail, and commuter rail), and city. Impacts of these funds are analyzed by examining several specific projects in detail. In addition to the examination of project impacts, the process used by two transit operators (NYCTA and PATH) to secure rail modernization funds and to select and implement projects is discussed.
Peat, Marwick, Mitchell and Company1990 K Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20006
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- BENNETT, J
- Publication Date: 1979-5
- Pagination: 282 p.
- TRT Terms: Benefit cost analysis; Capital; Commuter cars; Commuter service; Electric substations; Evaluation; Financing; Government funding; Grant aid; Improvements; Light rail transit; Light rail vehicles; Metropolitan areas; Modernization; Project management; Public transit; Rail transit stations; Railroad transportation; Rapid transit; Rolling stock; Street railroads; Urban transportation
- Identifier Terms: BNSF Railway; Conrail; New York City Transit Authority; Port Authority Trans-Hudson Corporation; Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority; U.S. Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Old TRIS Terms: Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Finance; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00314054
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IT-06-0118-80-1Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 5 1982 12:00AM