PERFORMANCE LIMITS OF RAIL PASSENGER VEHICLES: EVALUATION AND OPTIMIZATION
The dynamic performance capability of conventional and radial passenger trucks is identified and optimized with respect to ride quality, stability, and curve negotiation. This report defines, in an engineering sense, the performance boundaries of conventional and radial truck designs to provide guidelines for the evaluation of existing and proposed equipment. Linear dynamic models are developed that are capable of evaluating vertical response of a flexible carbody to random track irregularities, lateral hunting stability, lateral response to random track irregularities, and steady state lateral curve negotiation. The parametric results are presented in the form of charts and histograms which strongly indicate that the dynamic performance is sensitive to primary and secondary suspension parameter selection and that clear performance trade-offs exist including those between ride quality and stroke requirements and lateral stability and curving performance. The radial truck design allows an improved trade-off relationship by permitting the primary suspension to be designed for curve negotiation while maintaining stability through the radial links.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyDepartment of Mechanical Engineering
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Hedrick, J Karl
- Wormley, D N
- KAR, A K
- MURRAY, W
- Baum, W
- Publication Date: 1979-12
- Pagination: 401 p.
- TRT Terms: Dynamic loads; Hunting (Dynamics); Passenger cars; Passenger transportation; Performance evaluations; Railroad tracks; Railroad trains; Railroad transportation; Ride quality; Steering; Suspension systems; Trucks; Undercarriages; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response; Lateral stability
- Old TRIS Terms: Passenger car design; Radial trucks
- Subject Areas: Design; Motor Carriers; Passenger Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00314046
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/RSPA/DPB/50-7932Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-70052
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 5 1980 12:00AM