DETERMINATION OF DYNAMIC FORCES IN BRIDGES. GENERAL SURVEY OF THE WORK OF THE D 23 COMMITTEE AND PREPARATION OF GENERAL FORMULAE FOR CALCULATING THE DYNAMIC EFFECT
This report gives a general survey of the work carried out by ORE Specialists Committee D 23, charged with the study of the dynamic effects occurring in bridges. The studies included: a series of tests on bridges of different types; a series of measurements on a reduced-scale model of an actual bridge; a statistical analysis of the results of the measurements; a theoretical study of the dynamic effects and detailed calculations covering certain typical cases selected from among those tested. After enumerating the main results obtained, a comparison is made between the experimental and theoretical results. This study has resulted in proposals concerning the formulae to be used for calculating the dynamic effect in bridge-calculations. The dynamic effect, given in the form of a multiplication coefficient of the static stress due to live-loads, is expressed as a function of a factor including the span of the bridge, the vehicle speed and the natural vibration frequency of the loaded bridge. Simplification of the formulae is possible, giving the dynamic effects as a function of the span only. Identical formulae are proposed for concrete bridges and for the main girders of steel bridges. Another formula, expressed as a function of the vehicle speed only, is proposed for the rail-bearers and cross-girders of steel bridges and for light-weight bridges of short span.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1970-4
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 57 p.
- TRT Terms: Axle load force; Bridge design; Bridges; Concrete bridges; Defects; Dynamic tests; Girder bridges; Metal bridges; Steel bridges; Stresses; Structural design; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle loadings; Bridge stresses; Question d23; Wheel flat spots
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00052848
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: D23/RP 17/E Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 5 1976 12:00AM