TRUCK DESIGN OPTIMIZATION (TDOP), PHASE II ANALYSIS PLAN
The purpose of this document is to set forth the Analysis Plan which will be followed in the Truck Design Optimization Project (TDOP) Phase II. The Analysis Plan defines the means by which Type I (standard) and Type II (premium) freight car trucks will be characterized and compared. The specific objectives of the analysis task are: (1) to define the requirements for test data and simulation results which will establish performance specifications; (2) to determine the extent to which field test data can be extrapolated; and (3) to develop criteria for validating analytical models. The evaluation of Type I and Type II trucks addresses four important aspects of performance relating to railroad safety or effectiveness. The four are: lateral stability, trackability, curve negotiation, and ride quality. The Analysis Plan is divided into sections relating to each of the four performance regimes. Each section contains a discussion of performance indices, analysis requirements, model utilization, test data utilization, special considerations for Type II trucks, and summary.
- Record URL:
- See also report for Oct 78-May 79, PB80-104888.
Wyle LaboratoriesScientific Services and Systems Group
Colorado Springs, CO United States 80915
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Johnson, L L
- Gilchrist, A J
- Publication Date: 1980-3
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: 62 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Freight cars; Hunting (Dynamics); Performance based specifications; Performance evaluations; Rail (Railroads); Railroad tracks; Research projects; Ride quality; Rolling contact; Safety; Steering; Testing; Trucks; Undercarriages; Validation; Vehicle design; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lateral stability; Performance specifications
- Old TRIS Terms: Analytical techniques; Test programs; Type ii trucks
- Subject Areas: Design; Motor Carriers; Railroads; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00314013
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-80/31, TDOP/TR-04
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-742-4277
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 22 1980 12:00AM