AIRTRANS URBAN TECHNOLOGY PROGRAM - PHASE II. VOLUME 2: IMPROVED PASSENGER COMMUNICATIONS
AIRTRANS, an Automated Guideway Transit (AGT) system built by the Vought Corporation, has provided transit service for passengers at the Dallas/Fort Worth Airport since January 1974. This successful deployment of AGT technology prompted the investigation of the extension of the technology. Independent assessments were made by the Transportation Systems Center and by Vought to determine what changes or improvements would be required to operate AIRTRANS in an urban application. The recommendations were: higher operating speeds; better passenger acceptance; reduced capital and operating costs; increased reliability; enhanced all-weather capability; and increased energy efficiency. The AUTP was structured into a two-phase program. Phase I was completed in 1977. The first phase covered the development and demonstration of the improvements necessary for higher speed operation, while maintaining or improving reliability, cost, and performance characteristics of the overall system. Using Phase I as a building block, other recommendations for improvements in AIRTRANS for urban applications were addressed in Phase II. This report, Volume 2, covers the Improved Passenger Communications Task activities of the Vought Corporation, during Phase II of the AIRTRANS AUTP. The primary objectives of the program were to design, build, and demonstrate: (1) an onboard television surveillance system; (2) a programmable audio-announcement unit; (3) a dynamic graphic system; and (4) a time-to-arrival display unit for passenger stations. All of these systems were built and successfully demonstrated as part of the operation of a prototype urban AGT vehicle in the Dallas/Fort Worth AIRTRANS system.
- See also Volume 1, PB80-175193, and Volume 5, PB80-157704.
Vought CorporationSystems Division, P.O. Box 5907
Dallas, TX USA 75222
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Jacobsen, R S
- Schultz, C M
- Publication Date: 1979-10
- Pagination: 54 p.
- TRT Terms: Airports; Automated guideway transit; Automatic control; Communication; Communications; Graphics; Management; Passenger information systems; Passenger security; Performance evaluations; Planning; Rapid transit; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Identifier Terms: Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport
- Old TRIS Terms: Communications management; Graphic methods; Management planning; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Aviation; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads; Security and Emergencies; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00314011
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-TX-06-0020-79-3Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 22 1982 12:00AM