A PRELIMINARY FEASIBILITY STUDY OF A TANKER TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM SERVING THE NORTHWEST COAST OF ALASKA. FINAL REPORT
This study investigated marine transportation systems for transporting crude oil and methanol on a year-round basis from the northwest coast of Alaska to ports on the West Coast of the lower '48 states. The technical and economic feasibility of various transportation systems was parametrically investigated and the results are described in this three-part final report. Part 1, is the Executive Summary, presenting a brief description of the total study. Briefly, the study found that year-round transportation of crude oil is technically feasible and economically attractive. Year-round methanol transportation is also technically feasible, but delivered costs would not be competitive with prevailing market conditions. New construction of ice breaking tankers, or of ice strengthened tankers associated with special icebreaking ships, would be required.
- Executive Summary Part 1 (PB80-153638) and Appendices Part 3 (PB80-153653). Also available in set of 3 reports PC E13, PB80-153620.
Global Marine Development IncorporatedP.O. Box 3010
Newport Beach, CA United States 92630
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Halebsky, M
- Lebovits, M
- Romley, R M
- Publication Date: 1978-2
- Pagination: 190 p.
- TRT Terms: Carbinols; Crude oil; Design; Economic analysis; Economics; Feasibility analysis; Freight transportation; Ice; Icebreakers; Marine terminals; Methanol; Petroleum; Petroleum industry; Pipeline transportation; Sea ice; Strength of materials; Surveying; Surveying; Tankers; Transportation; Water transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Petroleum trade
- Geographic Terms: Alaska; Arctic Regions
- Old TRIS Terms: Arctic oil transportation; Ice strengthening; Methanol tankers; Tanker ships
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00313903
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MA-RD-940-80050
- Contract Numbers: MA-T-38164
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 26 1980 12:00AM